Welcome to Gateside Guesthouse
With its stunning views & Victorian charm, Gateside is definitely a “character” home.
The story goes that Gateside is the oldest B&B in the village. It has a convenient, central location but is situated in a peaceful cul-de-sac. With a stunning view of the dam & pastures, you could be in the heart of the countryside.
Eighteen years on, we have grown to 9 rooms/units, all of which are semi self-catered or fully self-catered with breakfast as an optional extra. Five of our units are pet-friendly & we have accommodation suitable for both our business travellers and families. We also offer small conference facilities: a maximum of 8 people.
We are flexible with breakfast which you are welcome to book on arrival for any or all mornings along with packed breakfasts & lunches. Furthermore, we do a dinner tray to your room if you do not wish to eat out although our local restaurants are all within 1km of us.
We have a wonderful team, with Charmaine being our manageress who you will find in the office Mondays to Fridays & our onsite team at weekends: Michael & Alta
Our loyal staff are a happy team who welcome you with a friendly smile. We love everyone to feel at home & comfortable. Business or pleasure, families and pets are all welcome! We have the ideal accommodation to suit your needs.
We look forward to having you with us!
We are close to:
- Local shops and restaurants – 1 to 5kms from us.
- Private & government schools of Hilton College, Cowan House, St Annes, Grace College & Laddsworth – 1km to 8kms.
- Hilton Life Hospital – 3 kms.Pietermaritzburg’s CBD – 10kms.
- Pietermaritzburg Airport(Oribi) is 16 to 25kms depending on route(25 – 35 minutes drive.)
- We are 5 minutes drive from the N3 highway.
- King Shaka International airport, Durban is a 1hr 25mins’ drive.
- In addition, the Drakensberg and the Durban beaches are both an hour and a half from us.
Hilton and its surroundings are all about outdoor life!
Enjoy mountain biking, trail running, canoeing, golfing, hiking & trout or bass fishing. Book a mountain guide for a hike in the ‘berg. Alternatively, for active watersports, Midmar dam is 15 minutes away.
Arts and Culture:
Spend a day enjoying the wonderful country drives along the Midlands Meander which gives you a great variety of arts, crafts, children’s activities & restaurants.
The area is rich in Anglo-Zulu & Boer war history.In addition to the battlefields there is Pietermaritzburg’s Victorian architecture & the “French history tour”. Art lovers: Tatham Art Gallery is a must!